Can’t decide whether to buy a recliner chair or a sofa? Need something which offers the space of a couch, but want to be able to kick up your feet and lean back now and again? Well, you don’t have to choose just one or the other! A reclining sofa is the ultimate choice for luxury and comfort, combining the best features of both a reclining chair and a sofa.
What is a Reclining Sofa?
A reclining sofa is exactly what it sounds like—it is a sofa which includes one or more pop-up footrests and seats which can lean back. With a reclining sofa, there is no need to purchase a separate recliner for your living room or entertainment center. This helps you to conserve both space and money while enjoying versatility in your seating options.
What Should You Look for in a Reclining Sofa?
While shopping for a reclining sofa, consider the following features:
- Dimensions and space. You are generally going to need at least four inches between the back of the sofa and the wall so that you can fully extend the recliner. If you choose to purchase an oversize sofa recliner, you may need significantly more space than that. Ensure you will also have space to pop up the footrest without hitting your coffee table.
- Choose a color and texture of fabric that will fit in nicely with your décor. Leather is a beautiful choice for modern and classic living areas.
- If you have kids or pets, look for a couch which is upholstered with sturdy fabric which is resistant to tears and stains. The best reclining sofas will also feature sturdy mechanics which will work great over the years to come.
- Additional features. More luxurious reclining sofas may offer special features like a fold-down cup-holder console, electric recliner mechanisms you can operate with a button, heating pads, and so on. These special features will up the cost, but may provide you with great functionality.
We have scoured the internet to find and rate the best reclining sofas according to these criteria. Let’s take a look at the top four on Amazon.com. These are the sofas which impressed us the most with their features, pricing, and sterling customer reviews.
Coaster Home Furnishings Transitional Motion Sofa in Black
If classic black leather and stylish simplicity is your ideal, this reclining sofa in the $700-$1,000 range may be exactly what you are in the market for. Currently there are not many reviews on Amazon.com, but there are quite a few on the Coaster website, and they are overwhelmingly positive.
The sumptuous black leather, stitched seat backs, and pillow arms provide for a refined look and a cozy feel. As part of the Lee Collection by Coaster, the Transitional Motion Sofa in Black is designed to be your “personal lounge oasis.” Both ends of the sofa recline using a manual control.
- Aesthetically speaking, you are not going to find a more versatile or beautiful design. Black leather looks great in a contemporary setting, but also fits well with classic décor.
- A loveseat and recliner are available in this collection as well, so if you are looking for a complete set and not just a reclining sofa, the Coaster Home Furnishings Transitional Motion Sofa is a perfect choice.
- Enjoy movie nights? If you pull down the middle seat back, you will reveal a cup holder for two.
- Some users who purchased this sofa said that they thought that the seats reclined through electric power, and were disappointed that it did not. Whether the manual operation is a drawback or not depends on your needs.
- This sofa does not have as many reviews as some of the others we recommend, so there is less information available to help you make your purchase decision.
Bottom Line: The main reasons to recommend this sofa are price and versatility. It is guaranteed to fit with any décor, and if you get a deal at the lower end of the price bracket, you are getting an incredible value.
Bobkona Motion Sofa in Saddle Microfiber by Poundex
Looking for a budget option which still offers a luxurious experience in comfortable seating? The Bobkona Motion Sofa in Saddle Microfiber by Poundex is a reclining couch selling in the $300-$600 range. As of the time of this review, there are only a few customer reviews on Amazon.com, but they are very positive, averaging out of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
This sofa features sturdy construction in metal and hardwood in a contemporary style. The scooped seats are heavily cushioned, as are the backs and arms to provide ergonomic lumbar and head support. That makes this an excellent choice for customers with back or neck problems. The saddle-colored microfiber is designed to be both soft and resilient.
- Customers emphasize that this sofa is very comfortable and attractive. One buyer wrote, “This is a very well-made product … The fabric is beautiful. When you sit, you are so comfortable, and the back support is incredible.”
- It is also easy to assemble this sofa. The same reviewer quoted above emphasized how happy they were with the simple set-up process.
- The color you see pictured is exactly what you get. If you like the design but prefer another color, a darker brown (“Chocolate”) version is also available.
- You cannot beat the low price!
- Some customers said that the sofa was a little firm after about a year of use.
Bottom Line: You are not going to find a lot of sofas in this low price bracket which are as sturdy, durable, soft, and comfortable as the Bobkona Motion Sofa.
Homelegance 9668BLK-3PW Power Reclining Black Bonded Leather Sofa
The most expensive sofa to make our list is the Homelegance 9668BLK-3PW Power Reclining sofa. This couch generally sells in the $900-$1,200 price range, though you may sometimes see it listed for more. Usually when you see a listing for $2,000+, it is a set of two sofas, or it is the entire Center Hill collection, which also features a loveseat and reclining chair.
This is a luxurious sofa featuring plush cushions and a comfortably tufted back rest. The nail-head accenting under each arm provides for a look which is as classic as it is timeless. You shouldn’t have to be able to by hand crank this recliner; the power mechanism does the hard work for you so you can kick back and relax.
- Customers say that the reclining mechanism works great and makes it easy to relax in total comfort. The tufted seat backs provide plenty of support for your upper and lower back.
- From a design standpoint, this sofa offers you a look which is very classy and can fit in nicely with any décor. In this sense, it is very similar to the other black couch on this list, the Coaster Home Furnishings Transitional Motion Sofa. The nail-head accenting however gives it some extra flair which the Coaster sofa lacks.
- This sofa is more expensive than the others on this list, including the similar Coaster black sofa mentioned above.
Bottom Line: If you have a couple hundred extra dollars to spend on a beautiful sofa, it may be well worth it to consider the 9668BLK-3PW Power Reclining Black Bonded Leather Sofa. If you want the look although should you prefer a different color, you can also purchase the couch in brown. If you are interested in the Homelegance brand but prefer a less expensive sofa that is even more popular, you will definitely want to take a look at the Homelegance Double Reclining sofa below.
Homelegance Double Reclining Sofa, Brown Bonded Leather
This sofa by Homelegance is part of the Cranley Collection, and on its own sells in the $700-$1,200 price range (an outstanding deal at the lower end of that bracket). It is a very popular purchase on Amazon.com, where it currently has more than 70 customer reviews and an average rating of 4 out of 5. That is a lot of positive feedback for a sofa; most sofas only have a few reviews at most!
This reclining sofa features overstuffed seats, arms, and backs containing high-density foam. The upholstery is brown bonded leather, but you have the option of purchasing this sofa with black bonded leather upholstery or with chocolate textured plush microfiber as well. If you need a full furniture set, you can purchase the entire Cranley Collection, which includes the reclining sofa, a reclining loveseat, a reclining chair, and a corner seat.
- Both ends of the sofa recline. This is a power recliner; you pull on the release lever and the mechanism does the rest of the work for you. Live in a small space? This couch is reasonably large, measuring 83” x 39” x 40”, but it may interest you to know that the cushioning slides forward when you use the reclining feature, which pulls it away from the wall. That means you do not need a lot of space between the wall and the sofa to recline and relax.
- Assembly is fast and easy; you can have this sofa set up in under a minute.
- Customers emphasize that this is an incredibly comfortable reclining sofa. One buyer wrote, “Wouldn’t know it isn’t real leather, very soft.”
- There were some customers who mentioned that the upholstery may eventually start flaking and peeling, but using leather conditioner may prevent this. If you take good care of your couch, you should have a good experience. Another buyer said, “After almost a year of owning this sofa, it has held up well. No sagging in the seats and no cracks in the leather.”
Bottom Line: Even though the leather is not real, this is a beautiful couch which will stand the test of time with proper care. Its popularity makes it a sure bet.
Which reclining sofa is the best? That depends on what you are in the market for. Those on a tighter budget will want to consider the Bobkona Motion Sofa. For a classic look, consider the Coaster Home Furnishings Transitional Motion Sofa in black. If you like the Coaster sofa but want some extra embellishment and class and are willing to pay a slightly higher price, the Homelegance 9668BLK-3PW Power Reclining sofa may be ideal.
Our pick for the best overall choice however is without a doubt the Homelegance Double Reclining Sofa in brown bonded leather. The feedback is amazing, the price is right, and the superior design combines a resilient build with a look which captures timeless appeal.