G-Shock is a line of watches from Japan-based Casio that launched in 1983. Kikuo Ibe designed the first model for rigorous outdoor activities such as sports and military uses. Most g-shock watches have a combination of analogue dial and digital stopwatch that is built to resist shock and vibration, with countdown timer, water resistant and electroluminescent features. The watches have been in the international market for over 35 years now as the company continues to come up with a wide variety of models and updates to keep the watch genuinely timeless.
The first models of G-Shock watch had a ten layer shock resistant design that protects the quartz timekeeping module, rubber bumper made of urethane and a hardened mineral crystal, stainless steel back and case and a light module in urethane foam cradle. The outer buttons and LCD module attached with a flexible cable.
The new models include attribute solar battery and atomic clock synchronisation. The models are updated every twice a year, and limited models introduced throughout the year. The brand also collaborates with various fashion brands such as Levis, A Bathing Ape, KIKS TYO, Stussy and other international brands such as Coca-Cola, Marlboro and Lucky Strike.
G-Shock watches are most popular among outdoor adventurers, mountaineers, astronauts, military men, divers, athletes and fashion enthusiasts for a sporty appeal and functionality and durability to any outfit.
In 2102, the Guinness World Record credited G shock for withstanding the most massive vehicle driven over a watch.
G-Shock has over 45 models categorised under:
- Vintage/classic models: there are over 28 variations of the classic model, all with different features. They serve the same shock, vibration and water resistant features, but differ in sizes, weight, colours and additional features.
- Master of G: this line includes five models which are all individually designed for exclusive use. They debuted in 1993 and though they retain most of the classic looks of G Shock models but with specified high-end details.
- G-glide surfing edition: they made it to the market in 1996 with countdown features, resin bands, yacht timers, tide graphs and equipped with strap adapters that target the needs of surfers, swimmers, divers and other water-sports.
- X-treme snowboard/ skateboard editions: these models that released in 1900 as an extension of the surfing edition that is specially designed to suit skateboarders and snowboarders. The nylon Velcro is the only difference from the surfing edition.
- Limited edition models: so far there have been four variations of the MRG limited edition model and one Go Green Project that have three varieties.
- Original models/square: 11 models cover the superior case protection, urethane band, hollow structure case and all direction covering for the ultimate touch watch that endures the test of time.
G-Shock watches are continuously evolving and remodelled. The latest models feature a touch solar battery charging, Bluetooth-enabled model and single battery life of 2 years. Some models facilitate radio transmission, digital compass, barometer and altimeter, thermometer, resistant to centrifugal gravity, GPS signals and auto-time zone adjustment that make them versatile and highly efficient for extreme conditions.