Top pick of the best boxing headgear – the RDX Zero Impact Leather-X Grill Head Guard:
The top pick for us in the category of boxing headgear is the RDX Zero Impact Leather-X Grill Head Guard. RDX Sports is a leading name in the fitness industry for a few decades now. They manufacture and export their boxing, MMA and Muay Thai fitness gear all over the world.
This headgear combines quality and an affordable price. With its superior design it gives you a great and unmatched protection. It is durable and well built to make sure that your head is always protected irrespective of the opponents you face.
One of the most basic protective equipment you require for boxing apart from a whole lot of courage is a good boxing headgear. Options are many and choosing the one most suited for your sporting needs could get tricky.
With our in-depth reviews on the best headgear available today, we hope to make the decision of buying a good headgear for you an easy one. We look at some of the best products, their best features as well as well as their not so great features.
Want to know why you should trust us? Read on to find out.
We have been wrestlers and martial arts enthusiasts since college and our love and passion for boxing has only grown in all these years. Being sportspersons ourselves, we know the importance of having a gear that you can count on.
The search for good quality gear and apparel for training led us to help fellow sportspersons to find the best quality gear for martial arts training.
Why should you trust our judgment?
We believe that experience is a great teacher and it has helped us tremendously in our search for the best products. As we have been part of the arena ourselves, we have a fair idea about the things to look for when you decide to buy a product for your sporting needs.
We consistently meet a range of people from amateurs to professionals to students to coaches and even store owners to make sure that our reviews are as informative as possible. Along with this, we spend a great amount of time understanding the reasons given by them choosing a certain sporting gear. We ask them about what they like and did not like about a product, as well as why they choose to buy it over the others.
Table Of Contents:
- Our review process
- How we found the RDX Zero Impact Leather-X Grill Head Guard to be the best product
- A list of the different gear and equipment that is essential for boxing
- How to choose the right boxing headgear?
- Review of the next top three choices for boxing gloves
- Choice 1: Hayabusa Tokushu Regenesis Boxing Headgear
- Choice 2: Everlast Everfresh Head Gear
- Choice 3: Pu Leather Sanda Boxing Head Guard Headgear
- Final thoughts
Our review process:
We believe in information that is true, tested and from the people who are in the action of things themselves. We make sure that we thoroughly research about all the different products in each category and compile our information about the most popular products.
Then we analyze the information based on users who are not only professionals but also people who may be comparatively new at the sport. This helps us gain an all-round perspective. We also speak with companies and retailers to find out which are their best selling products in that category we are researching on.
All this along with the user reviews on ecommerce sites such as Amazon, help us present to you our top picks of sporting goods and gear.
How we found the RDX Zero Impact Leather-X Grill Head Guard to be the best product:
The RDX Zero Impact Leather-X Grill Head Guard is a great headgear that is made of high quality materials at a reasonable price. Wearing a good headgear is not only important from the protection point of view but it is also important for performance. It allows you to fight harder and greatly reduces the risk of injury.
- It is made of High-quality Maya Hide Leather, which makes it a highly durable one
- It has triple padded Tri-Slab with Shell Shock gel lining between each slab.
- The padding is Supremo-Shock Foam padding.
- It has a removable face-grill made with lightweight polymer.
- The Quick-EZ Velcro closure ensures no budging or slipping.
- It is available in sizes such as small, medium, large and extra large.
Pros of the RDX Zero Impact Leather-X Grill Head Guard:
- This headgear with its triple padded Tri-Slab has Shell Shock gel lining between each of the slabs. This gives you maximum shock absorption and you can spar with confidence.
- The Supremo Shock Foam padding adds to the safety feature of this headgear and makes it a highly shock absorbent product. This is necessary to protect you from concussive force.
- The gel lining absorbs shock very well and foam and padding ensure shock dissipation.
- It is made of High-quality Maya Hide leather and this well made head guard will be your protective companion for a long time.
- The Velcro closure makes it easily adjustable and it fits all head sizes. It conforms snugly to the shape of your head and does not budge or slip.
- The face-grill is removable and it gives you great head protection.
- It is easy to find the perfect headgear that fits you, as it is available in different sizes.
A list of the different gear and equipment that is essential for boxing:
There is a wide range of boxing gear and equipment available today and it is great to know the ones that are essential for the sport as well as for your safety.
Here is a list of some of them items you must consider knowing about and buying.
- Heavy Bag
- Boxing Gloves
- Mouth guard
- Devices for timing rounds
- Skipping Rope
- Exercise Mat
- Speed Bag
- Focus Mitts/Pads
There are many companies and brands that manufacture these goods and each of them has some specialized features. Whichever ones you choose to buy, it is important to buy the best quality products as they are for your own safety.
How to choose the right headgear?
- Right size:
Headgear is available in different sizes and it is important to choose the right size for you. You should always try them on before you buy it. When you try it on, your head should not feel trapped. It should not be uncomfortable and it should cradle your head.
The headgear should not compress the sides or the front and back of your head. You should be able to move your head well.
- Right type:
There are different types of headgear such as training headgear and competition headgear. Each has its own purpose.
If you have decided to buy a headgear then you must keep in mind that it is meant to protect your head and It should not hurt you in any way.
- Different brands:
Trying to save money by buying a brand that is not reputed is a decision that could cost you in the long run. Not only is this dangerous but wearing cheaper quality headgear could be dangerous. Good quality headgear is long lasting, safe and it is a far better option than the cheaper ones that may cause damage to your head.
- Ease of use of fasteners:
The fasteners are the parts that come open when your wear the headgear. It is also used for fastening the headgear in place. The two kinds that are available are the Velcro or lace up fasteners.
The Velcro design makes it easy to put on and take off the headgear. They are extremely popular and are considered to be a best option for training.
On the other hand, using lace up fasteners give you a snug and secure fit but using them especially if you are training alone, can be difficult. You can use these if you have a coach or trainer to help you fasten the headgear.
Wearing a headgear with adequate padding will appear in your field of vision but it is a small price to pay for safety. The lesser is the amount of padding, better would be the visibility.
A great option is using an open face headgear but it might compromise your safety. So, you will have to find the balance between protection and visibility.
Review of the next top three choices for boxing headgear:
|Brand||Features||Anti-Microbial Technology||Made of|
|Hayabusa Tokushu Regenesis Boxing Headgear||Protective front bar for extra protection.Hook and loop closure for secure fit.X-Static XT2 anti microbial technology to prevent odor.|
Hayabusa inner fabric for improved ventilation and comfort.
|Yes||Upgraded Vylar-2 Engineered Leather for advanced crack resistance.|
|Everlast Everfresh Head Gear||Cheek protectors for safety.Adjustable chinstrap with adjustable closures to fit most adult head sizes.Available in two colors: red and black.||Yes||Made of rugged Everhide.|
|Pu Leather Sanda Boxing Head Guard Headgear||Full-facehead guard.Thick high-density multi-layer padding.With side temple and ear protection.Tight secure Velcro for easy adjustment.Available in two colors: red and blue.||No||Made of PU leather.|
Choice 1: Hayabusa Tokushu Regenesis Boxing Headgear
Hayabusa Tokushu Regenesis Boxing Headgear is one of the most popular products available today. You will find it tough to find something that you would not like about this headgear. It gives you a good visibility and stays exactly where you want it to stay. It is lightweight and you might not even realize that you are wearing it.
- The protective front bar gives you great protection without compromising visibility.
- It has a Velcro fastener with the hook and loop closure and an adjustable chinstrap. These give you a safe and secure fit.
- It is made of Vylar-2 Engineered Leather, which provides resistance to cracks and is durable.
- The X-Static XT2, which is an anti-microbial technology, gives your protection from bacteria and it has anti odor properties.
- Exclusive Hayabusa inner fabric gives you enhanced breathability and better ventilation. It also has thermo-regulating properties to give you absolute comfort.
- It is available only in a single color unlike some other brand, which have a range of attractive colors to choose from.
- Some users may find that the foam is stiff but this does give better back protection.
Choice 2: Everlast Everfresh Head Gear:
This flexible and versatile headgear from Everlast can be used for boxing, kickboxing as well as other martial arts.
It is long lasting, well constructed and it also ensures that the products are safe and smelling fresh due to its anti microbial treatment.
- This headgear is rugged and resilient
- It fits great as it comes with adjustable chinstraps and a basket style head that you can adjust.
- The adjustable closure makes sure that it fits most adult head sizes.
- The cheek protectors provide excellent visibility while maintaining maximum safety.
- You need not have to worry about odor or bacteria as its anti microbial technology prevents all this.
- Some users may not like the feel of synthetic leather as compared to genuine leather.
- Headgear’s straps are made of suede, which may tend to smell if you tend to have long, sweaty sessions.
- It’s padding may feel too solid for some users. Boxers and fighters have even complained of headache after using this headgear.
Choice 3: Pu Leather Sanda Boxing Head Guard Headgear:
Pu Leather Sanda Boxing Head Guard Headgear is a great choice if you are a beginner.
This headgear is a full-face head guard, which gives you optimum protection. Its thick padding makes sure that you don’t feel the impact of the punches.
It is made with high quality PU leather and it is available in a choice of red or blue color.
- It has a thick, high density padding on high impact zones and it protects you well as it has multi-layered padding.
- The side temple and ears are well protected due to the integrated protection feature.
- You do not need to worry about reduced visibility as it is designed to ensure that your peripheral vision is not compromised.
- You can easily adjust this headgear with the help of its Velcro fasteners.
- Since the headgear is made of PU leather, it may tend to feel synthetic. The foam may also feel stiff.
Buying the perfect headgear that is suited to your needs is important. What is more important is buying something that is comfortable, durable and tough that will not only help you stay safe but also perform better. Finding a product with superior safety, fantastic features and perfect price may be tough but we managed to do all that and more in our review.
Though the debate whether you should wear headgear or not has been a long-standing one. The fact of the matter remains that wearing a headgear greatly increases the safety factor and you should always prioritize safety when it comes to boxing.