Self-esteem is a person’s confidence in his own worth. In short, we can say that self-esteem means self-respect. It reflects the overall subjective emotional assessment of a person’s own worth, the belief about oneself.
So we can’t underestimate the importance of self esteem. Your behavior and thoughts are highly influenced by your self-esteem. It changes the way you think, feels or values yourself. It also influences your self-confidence and thus affects the way of your success in a big way.
Why self- esteem matters?
- It affects your thinking and thus causes your point of view to be positive or negative.
- Boosts your confidence if you have a positive outlook, as well as lowers your confidence if you have a negative one.
- It also affects your self-image towards others. So you should value yourself first.
- Higher Self-esteem unlocks the positivity in yourself and thus leads you towards the right attitude and success at work.
- Self-esteem affects your happiness and sadness.
You can improve your self-esteem by working on it. Because building self esteem activities improve your daily life and contentment.
Importance of positive thinking
Low self-esteem affects your motivation and thus leads you to depressing thoughts. So you should always nurture healthy thoughts inside yourself. You will tend to face more failures if you suffer from low self-esteem.
So try to work on building self esteem, it is important as it can make a difference between success and failure.
Types of self esteem
Self-esteem is the most vital thing to form healthy and positive relationships with the people around us. Also, we should remember the importance of self esteem before studying the types. There are three types of it.
Well, this doesn’t mean we can tag us with one particular type of esteem, everything depends on what’s happening to our lives and how are we tackling with it.
This type of self-esteem makes people ego driven and they think they are better than others. The individuals don’t feel hesitate to underestimate others. Well, needless to say, it is negative self-esteem, as it holds you back from establishing healthy and loving relationships.
People who have inflated self-esteem always try to prove themselves right and their competitiveness and ego damages friendships.
They don’t listen to others and tend to think they are the superior ones.
They are incapable of correcting their own errors and constantly blame others, also tend to undervalue good behaviors and judge people, and that’s why they can’t establish healthy relationships with others. People with inflated self esteem should watch motivational videos of factors that influence self esteem.
These types of people accept their flaws and value their thoughts and they don’t have an ego, they are not narcissist and respect other people’s opinion. The quality of being self- confident and the courage to face all the problems make them good human beings.
Their characteristics include believing in yourself and trusting who you make them different from others. These peoples’ captivating good vibes make them good partners.
They are not arrogant or aggressive and neither do they feel better than anyone else. These characteristics give them mental peace.
But sometimes they are unable to maintain high self-esteem. This happens when they face any negative incident or in competitive contexts where they have to deal with their insecurities and weaknesses. In these cases few therapy sessions can help them building self esteem again.
This is exactly the opposite of high self-esteem. People with low self-esteem don’t value themselves and always lowers their self-worth. They distrust their potentials and possibilities.
They feel insecure almost in every situation, and the fear of failure always holds them backward. These individuals are prone to depression as well as the epitome of unhappy people.
Well, people with low self-esteem feel euphoric when everything goes right in their lives, but when a difficult situation appears they lose themselves quickly and their self-esteem drops.
Being the sensitive ones they can be easily manipulated.
They are the mentally weaker ones, who tend to show their opinion but without safeguarding themselves.
These types of people ask others for an opinion while taking decisions; little self-esteem makes them unstable.
They try to make everyone happy and have a great fear of messing things up. However one can escape from this situation by improving their skills of discussing their problems to high self-esteem people or they can join a rehabilitation center for betterment. Self esteem articles can help you to improve yourself.
How to improve self esteem?
Here are a few self confidence tips you can follow to improve yourself: the importance of self-esteem
- Like and value yourself, accept your flaws and try to improve communication skills.
- Try to recognize your strengths and positivity. Always surround yourself with good people.
- Believe that you deserve happiness.
- Try to believe that you’re good enough and you matter.
- Do not try to make everyone happy.
- Stop blaming yourself for the past mistakes you have done.
- Try to make decisions.
- Spend time with yourself.
- Don’t sit idly, rather read good story books.
- Try to sleep early and get sufficient sleep.
- Do exercise regularly.
- Eat healthy foods and take care of yourself.
- Watch motivational videos and movies, regarding how to improve self confidence.
So these were the tips of how to build self esteem in adults.
Things that cause low self-esteem
We may not feel low always; some incidents can change our self-esteems for a while, the effects of low self esteem can be worst in many cases. So what causes low self-esteem?
- History of being bullied or physically and mentally abused
- Losing job or difficulty in finding one
- Mental and physical health problems
- Money and house related problems
- The hostile environment at work
- Social stigma
How to improve self esteem in relationships?
You can improve your relationships by simply following a few things; factors that influence self esteem are,
- Always be kind to yourself and the person you are talking, try to understand them before reacting.
- Don’t hold your emotions back, let it flow. At the end of the day, we are human beings.
Lastly, remember one thing. You are the one who can rectify yourself. When it comes to your self-worth, the only opinion matter is yours. Only you can be your best critic. So stop under or overvaluing yourself, judge and be careful while you’re self-evaluating.